From the Devices tab, you can add a phone, configure devices and manage all devices and phones on the account.
All devices are not phones, a deskphone might be called a SIP phone. Some "devices" might be a static forward to a phone number off-network such as a cell phone or might be an (analog telephone adapter) ATA that an old analog phone is connected to.
Adding a phone
Follow these steps to add a device to the account without assigning a user.
- Go to SmartPBX > Devices > Add Device.
Select the type of device you want to add.
Enter the device name and number.
- Leave Assign to as No Owner.
- Click Create Device.
This device now appears in the list of available or spare devices if you need to use it in the future.
To add a device for a user and for device specific instructions, see Adding a device to a user.
Editing device settings
- Go to Devices and click the Edit column for the device and user that you want to update.
- In the dialog menu for that device, you can change the device name and number or the user that it's assigned to.
Under Advanced > Options you can select from the following options:
- SIP - add a SIP username and password
- Audio - assign audio codecs. For more information about codecs, see Codecs
- Video - assign video codecs
- Restrictions - apply restrictions to certain types of numbers, such as freephone, directory enquiry, international and so on
- Miscellaneous - apply settings such as caller-id privacy, notifications when the device unregisters and so on
- Combo Keys - combo keys enable you to add indicators and functions to the keys beside your phone display, such as speed dial and busy lamp fields (BLF - an LED light to indicate if an extension is available or busy). For more information about setting up combo keys, see Setting up Combo Keys.
Save your changes.
NOTE: You cannot change the brand or model of the device using these steps. You must first delete the device, see Deleting a device. After the device is deleted, you can add a new one, see Adding a device to a user.
Setting up combo keys
You can set up the speed dials and BLF through the Device menu of the Smart PBX:
- Go to Smart PBX > Devices.
- Search for the Device you want to set up keys for.
Click the Edit icon.
Click Advanced and then Combo Keys.
Select which function or indicator you want to add to a key.
- Presence: Indicates when a user has an incoming call or is on the phone. The indicator can be used to pick up ringing calls or speed dial that user.
- Parking: Indicates when a call is placed on a parking slot available to the entire company. The indicator can be used to transfer a call to the parking slot or retrieve a parked call.
- Personal Parking: Indicates when a call is placed on a parking slot dedicated to the selected user. The indicator can be used to transfer a call to the parking slot or retrieve a parked call.
- Speed Dial: Does not indicate for any calls event but can be used to rapidly call the configured number.
- Line: Use as a line key.
Depending on which function you are adding, select the user, the parking spot, the value and the label for the device.
- Click Save Changes.
If you have created the Speed dial/BLF buttons in Advanced Provisioner Application and then in Smart PBX, the Smart PBX will overwrite what was programmed in Advanced Provisioner. For more information about setting up combo keys in Advanced Provisioner, see Combo Keys.
Deleting a device
- Go to Devices and click the Edit column on the device you want to delete.
- Click Delete Device.
Save your changes.
Changing name on device
To change the name on the device, you have to update the name in "User" first.
To change name in USER:
- Go to Smart PBX > Users.
- Select the user you want to change.
- Click Change Credentials.
- If you want your voicemails to be sent to your email, assign the correct email.
To change name on Device:
- After you update the name in User, go to Smart PBX > Devices.
Click the device you want to modify, in this example we will use Demo 106.
Change the device name to the name of the new user, make sure Mac address and model number are correct.
- Save changes.
- Reboot the phone.
If the new name is not showing up on the phone, wait 10 minutes and try again. If the name on the phone is not changing, submit a support request.